In the UK, the Advertising Standards Authority is a "one-stop-shop" for all advertising standards. ASA applies the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice. Clearcast, on the other hand, examines pre-production scripts and provides pre-clearance to advertising agencies on proposed TV ads prior to broadcast.
Advertising Standards Authority
Castle House, 37-45 Paul St, Shoreditch, London EC2A 4LS, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 7492 2222 | Fax: +44 20 7242 3696 Email | Website | |
- ASA handles complaints from consumers, competitors and other interested parties
- All complaints are handled free of charge
- Complaints may be submitted via an online form, telephone or in writing
- File a complaint
- View decisions
- Copy advice is available to all
- Standard copy advice – Free
- Express Service – £250 + VAT
- Feedback is usually given within 24 hours
- Express Service guarantees a response within 4 hours
4 Roger Street, WC1N 2JX London, UK
Tel: +44 207 339 47004
Email | Website | |
Clearcast has two principal functions: the examination of pre-production scripts and the pre-transmission clearance of finished TV ads. Clearcast provides pre-clearance to advertising agencies on proposed TV ads prior to broadcast checking them against the UK Code of Broadcast Advertising.
Clearcast also publishes Notes of Guidance, which offer guidance on the current interpretation of the Code and the Copy Committee’s policies. The Notes are updated as and when necessary.
- TV ads must be pre-cleared by Clearcast
- Fee: Covered by broadcasters subscribing to the clearance service
- Submissions must be submitted online via Clearcast’s clearance system
- Substantiation which is of a technical nature and complex should be submitted using the Claims Support Model